Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Monstrous Mess

  • Program Goals
    • Fun, messy art program for kids who are off school
    • Sub for toddler storytime (provider is n/a)
    • Non-Halloween activities for families
I planned to run this approximately from 10am to noon. Toddler storytime usually meets at 10am and 11am. Since there was no school, I had both my aides available. I also pulled in additional staff to cover the youth services desk in the morning. The focus was on paint and messy art for the morning and some sensory activities.

Painting activities
  • Painting pumpkins - leftover pumpkins from a program, tempera paint, brushes
  • Fingerpaint - fingerpaint, paper
  • Scratch art - pre-made cardstock with crayons, kids cover it in black paint and draw designs with popsicle sticks. Additional crayons and cardstock to make your own.
  • Watercolors and biocolor - diffusion paper in various shapes, brushes
Sensory activities
  • 1 swimming pool with a pumpkin cut open to be investigated
  • 1 swimming pool with water and dish soap and plastic food from the kitchen
Other
  • Sink, paper towels, cloth towels
  • Plastic tablecloths on the tables (and on the floor below)
  • Aprons
I also put out monster and art books, our donation pig, and had my aides take pictures

Evaluation

  • 10-31-17
    • Attendance: 62 (estimate)
    • Notes: I will only do this again if it falls on the right day - no school AND a Tuesday. But everyone had a lot of fun and there was paint everywhere! If I do it again I need to schedule the aides a little longer for more clean-up time.

No comments: