Friday, August 4, 2017

Read and Grow: 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten

We've had increasing interest in this program; I had more kids ages 0-3 doing Read and Grow than involved in summer reading this year. So I took the first week after summer reading finish to revise and update the program.

How it works
Parents can pick up a folder from the box at any time. When they have read 100 books together, they get a caterpillar to add to the reading chart. At 500 books they get a pot and seeds. At 1,000 books they get a free book and their picture on a butterfly. Throughout the program they pick up stickers for their logs.

Supplies and insertions:
  • Folders (bought in bulk at back to school sales)
  • Sticky labels (printed at a local print shop and I have a lifetime supply because I couldn't find them and had more printed!)
  • Instructions
  • Read and Grow logs (now with caterpillars!)
  • Bookmarks with reading suggestions (haven't uploaded them yet)
  • Stickers are collected from a variety of sources, but the most popular are the foam stickers I get from Amazon (Purple Ladybug Novelty)
  • Books collection from donations, review copies, and Scholastic Book Fairs
People often ask if it's ok to re-read books, what if they forget to write them down, etc. It's all good! I don't have time or the inclination to police the finer points and I don't really care. The big thing is that families are reading.

Marketing flyers - 8x11 poster and 11x17 tv flyer. I periodically update these with new book covers.

No comments: