Wednesday, June 14, 2017

We Explore Favorite Artist Eric Carle


  • Program Goals:
    • Introduce Eric Carle and his art
    • Encourage gross and fine motor skills (ripping, painting)
    • 20 children and adults in attendance
Art Project Part 1: Painting (10-10:15)
As the kids come in, they get aprons and start painting. I remind everyone to write their names at their spots, not to paint too thickly and pass out paper towels to blot the paintings. I just used a couple colors. Then we blotted them with paper towels and left them to dry. This takes about 15 minutes. I start gathering the kids to the rug for storytime after 15 minutes, but latecomers continue painting.
 
Supplies
  • Paint (red, blue, green) 
  • 8x11 white construction paper 
  • paint brushes, paper towels, aprons 
Storytime/Snacktime (10:15-10:40)
I start with the Very Hungry Caterpillar puppet and book. After this interactive story, I ask the adults to hand out the snack and we read more Eric Carle books. Depending on the audience, I talk about animal sounds, counting, coloring techniques, imagination, texture, etc.

Books
  • Very Hungry Caterpillar (puppet program) 
  • The Very Busy Spider 
  • 1, 2, 3 To the zoo 
  • The artist who painted a blue horse 
  • Hello Red Fox (school age)
Supplies
  • teddy grahams or animal crackers
  • sliced apples
  • Dixie cups and napkins 
Art Project Part 2: Collage (10:40-11)
Everyone went back to their paintings and cut them up, then glued them onto the paper to make collages. More paper towels may be needed for things that are not quite dry.

Supplies
  • 8x12 white construction paper 
  • Scissors, Glue 
  • paper towels 
Display: Eric Carle books

Evaluation

  • 6-14-17
    • Attendance: 40
    • Notes: I had goldfish for snacks. Much larger group than anticipated! I always forget how popular this one is. I might need to replace my Very Hungry Caterpillar puppet soon.
  • 6-15-16
    • Attendance: 25
    • Connections/Feedback: Most families happened to be there, but a couple came specifically b/c they like this program series.
    • Notes: We had fruit loops for the snack. A handful of kids just came in for storytime.
  • 10-21-14, 10-29-14
    • Attendance: 3 classes of 1st graders (approx. 20 kids, 2 adults each)
    • Connections/Feedback: This was as much about connecting with the teachers as the kids. I want to expand my reach with these programs and get more classes to sign up for them, so it was a good start.
    • Notes: I really need an associate. I've been borrowing other staff and this was especially fraught on the 21st because it started at 9, so I had to come in an hour early, and then ended at 10, when toddler storytime started and I had to leave asap for a different outreach group. With older kids it goes faster - we had plenty of time at the end, which was good because on Tuesday I forgot the snack! With the second two classes I adjusted to spend more time on the painting at the beginning, had wet wipes, and didn't need nametags.
  • 1-31-14
    • I revamped this to make it a series of programs, once a month. I used apples instead of grapes this time and also had some bananas. 
  • 5-10-13
    • Attendance: 20 people (14 kids)
    • Notes: I have been getting very small groups for the non-performer We Explores, but this was a very nice size - 20 people, which means about 14 kids. I think this is a perfectly reasonable size for our population and for the type of program this is. Everyone LOVED it and I think this was my most successful non-performer We Explore yet. 

No comments: