Thursday, June 22, 2017

Library on the Go: Week 2, low income housing complex

This was a total failure. I tried, I really, really did try, prior to getting this started to get in touch with the Housing Authority. I left phone messages, dropped off materials, but I never really got any response. Then I found out last week that the complex I chose, which has a lot of library patrons in it and a high percentage of kids with blocked cards, was potentially being rezoned, or whatever you'd call it, so it's no longer low income. In the end, I decided just to cross my fingers and go for it. The worst that could happen is either nobody showed up or they told me to leave.

Well, nobody showed up. I unpacked everything, and sat, alone. I saw one elderly lady with a walker meander across the parking lot and a moving van. It was basically dead. Either there were no kids there, they couldn't see me, or something. I decided I needed to make some changes, fast. I drove around town a little, looking at where kids had congregated (no, that was not at all creepy! uh, maybe...) and talked to our parent educator who is closely tied in with social services and the school district. I decided to expand my summer school outreach to both the lobby AND the free lunch (new this year) in the cafeteria through July. In August I will hopefully be able to set up in the park by the pool (this may or may not work out). Next year I might try a camp spot outside of town that a teacher recommended.

No comments: