Thursday, June 29, 2017

Library on the Go: Back at summer school

SUCCESS!! I started at summer school around 11am and this time I brought along my aide (and her follower, a 4th grader). We unloaded and set up. It was cooler and I got a slow but steady trickle of people. Shortly after 12, we picked up the tables and walked them down to the cafeteria (much to the bewilderment of some of the school staff, but they mostly all know me so it didn't matter) and I FOUND THE KIDS. Well over a hundred of them are taking advantage of lunch and, since if you stay for lunch you can't use the buses, most of them were not in a big hurry to leave. We were swamped!

I checked out 48 books, signed up 29 kids for summer reading, and around 50 kids stopped by to talk, take a craft (I tore through the magnet kits, color-me keychains, and Finding Dory bags my colleague had donated) and look at the books.

I registered kids who visit the library to check out movies and games but have never participated in summer reading because their parents don't speak English and the language barrier is too great. I signed up kids who attend our rural elementary school and I only see them briefly as part of a class perhaps once a year. I signed up kids who have never visited the library at all. I told them over and over that everything was FREE!

In a follow-up of success, one of the children I signed up and their caregiver, who I had explained the program too, both came to the library for the first time to return their LotG books and the child got their first library card and checked out library books!

The ipad is still giving me grief - I'm going to use a laptop next time.

No comments: