Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Summer Reading Outreach Book Lists

I've really struggled with what, exactly, to do for summer reading previews at the schools. Usually, I do a spiel and then booktalk. The kids like it, the librarians and teachers like it, but I wonder if any kids actually remember anything? Sometimes I get kids coming in asking for the books, which is awesome, but I've been doing this for almost 9 years now and I'm kind of...bored with it. This year I didn't do the usual thing - we sponsored an author visit and I didn't have the usual set up, so I guess now is the time to see if it makes a difference. I'm planning more outreach during the summer and would like to transition to doing individual classes if possible. Or something.

All of these - and more - I've put onto small cards which I'll hand out at outreach programs. They each have a suggested grade level, cover pic, and quick description. We'll see how that goes.


Picture Books (*nonfiction)
  • Be quiet! by Ryan Higgins
  • Great now we've got barbarians
  • Prince Ribbit
  • *Give bees a chance
  • *Anything but ordinary Addie
Easy Readers (*nonfiction)
  • Duck and porcupine
  • Good for nothing button
  • *Ham-Ham-Hamsters
  • *You should meet...
Beginning Chapters (*nonfiction)
  • Ella and Owen
  • Inspector Flytrap
  • Tales of Sasha
  • *Blast Back!
Middle Grade Fiction
  • Amina's voice
  • Cody and the fountain of happiness
  • Mary Bowser and the civil war spy ring
  • Forever or a long long time by Carter
  • Ghost by Reynolds
  • Hamstersaurus Rex
  • Army brats by Daphne Benedis-Grab
  • How to outrun a crocodile when your shoes are untied
Middle Grade Fantasy
  • Fairy wings by E. D. Baker
  • Girl who could not dream
  • Journey across the hidden islands
Middle Grade Graphics (*nonfiction)
  • Mighty Jack by Ben Hatke
  • Cici a fairy's tale
  • Real friends by Shannon Hale
  • Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson
  • Amazing Crafty Cat
  • Time museum by Matthew Loux
  • *Science Comics: Bats
Middle Grade Nonfiction (Narrative)
  • Sea otter heroes
  • Beastly brains
  • Lesser spotted animals
  • Behind the Legend: Loch Ness Monster by Erin Peabody
Maker Books
  • Modeling clay with 3 basic shapes
  • Let's Sew
  • Creative kids complete photo guide to crochet

No comments: