Thursday, February 9, 2017

Messy Art Club: Paper Projects

  • Program Goals
    • Encourage creativity and problem-solving
    • Allow children to experience different art products and styles
    • Develop fine motor abilities
    • Attendance: 35
Project: Suncatchers

How it works: Kids cut or rip tissue paper and then tape it across the cut-outs, kind of like iris folding only much simpler. Lots of them like to hang their creations around their necks like necklaces afterwards. I only use markers in the community room b/c they're easier to clean off the tables than crayons.

Supplies:
  • Paper cut-outs (recycling! I save all the paper cut outs from die cutting to use for this but I also cut some from my stash of shirt cardboard. The kids get the die cut shapes to keep as a bonus or we use them later.)
  • Tissue paper
  • Yarn
  • Markers
  • Tape, hole punchers, scissors
Project: Paper Weaving
Supplies
  • Thick pasteboard strips (donated supplies)
  • Construction paper (regular and 9x18)
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Paper cutter
  • Tape (regular, packing tape, duct tape), staples, scissors
Other information
Project: Valentines
Supplies:
  • Paper
    • 9x18 purple, pink, red
    • handmade paper (donated by a patron)
    • die cut paper hearts
  • markers, sequins, glitter glue
  • scissors, glue, popsicle sticks (for spreading), sink
Evaluation

  • 2-9-17: Valentines
    • Attendance: 51
    • Notes: Lots of people came. They really like the die cuts the best. I mean, hearts are nice and all, but the die cut machine is the best.
  • 2-4-16: Valentines
    • Attendance: 30 something?
    • Connections/Feedback: Lots of regular families, a small group of middle schoolers
    • Notes: Busy at the beginning, tapered off at the end so I left my aide and associate in charge b/c I had some urgent things to do.
  • 4-23-15: Suncatchers
    • Attendance: 28
    • Feedback/Connections: A patron stopped in and took information to give to her new tenants, who have children and want to meet people before school starts next year. A grandmother brought her grandkids and took information to give their mom to bring them back later.
    • Notes: This is a pretty easy program and works well at this time of year when attendance sometimes drops a bit.
  • 3-5-15: Paper Weaving
    • Attendance: 36
    • Connections/Feedback: Two new families, one returning family I haven't seen in a long time.
    • Notes: This took a long time to get off the ground - people really trickled in. It wouldn't have been as fun if I hadn't had all the thick cardstock paper strips, which the kids built things with.
  • 2-12-15: Valentines
    • Attendance: 55
    • Feedback/Connections: A new family attended, they'd never been to any of my programs before although I've seen the child in school which helped coax them in. They stayed for all two hours and had a lovely time. I also got several working families in right at the end, which was exciting as that was the purpose of extending the club to 5:30.
    • Notes: I didn't actually plan this one - I just collected a bunch of stuff and threw it all on the table. The tons of gorgeous donated handmade paper is what really makes this work.
  • 2-13-14: Valentines
    • Attendance: 40
    • Notes: Last year I did a really simple crafting program; this year I added some new ideas from Pinterest. I have some paint ideas too, but there's too much going on right now for paint. Next year! When I'm not exhausted and sick. What a beautiful dream...Nobody was really interested in the fancy paper crafting, even the teens who dropped in or the adults. People always ask for instructions and then they prefer to do their own thing - which is totally fine.
  • 11-15-13: Paper Weaving
    • Attendance: 30
    • As part of my new zen librarian lifestyle, I am not going to freak out if I only have 30 people at a program. Which happened this time but that was a nice easy group. Of course, the newspaper chose this day to come take pictures, but luckily my family with trips and 2 younger kids was there, so it looked like more! I didn't cut very many strips beforehand - the kids liked picking out the paper and bringing it to me at the paper cutter. I found it's easier for younger kids if you cut the paper mats all the way down one side, then they can slide the paper on instead of weaving it. 
  • 4-25-13Suncatchers
    • Attendance: 50ish
    • Notes: Sometimes I think glumly about the vast amount of paper we use. This is a very papery program that recycles! So it's good! Lots of new people, several old friends I hadn't seen in a while and a total around...50? 60? who knows?
  • 2-14-13: Valentines
    • Notes: I am not a particular fan of Valentine's Day, but if it falls at the right time, we'll do a big card-crafting extravaganza. Today, we made Valentines, there was much glitter and glue. It was a smaller group, but I didn't promote this one heavily. And that's ok, they don't need to all be huge groups!

No comments: