Thursday, January 19, 2017

Mad Scientists Club: Science of Snow

  • Program Goals
    • Learn about snow crystals
    • Learn how to use a microscope
    • Experiment with chemical reactions
    • Attendance: 35
Project: Snowflakes
Kids made snowflakes (I'd like to add more resources on symmetry and crystals)
  • Paper
  • Scissors
Experiment: Looking at snowflakes
I purchased a microscope for the library and we had plenty of snow. I put my aide in charge of the microscope.

Experiment: Magic puffing snow
I got this from Fun at home with kids. We did not use any coloring, as I expected a lot of it to end up on the floor.
  • Large plastic tubs, baby wipes
  • Ingredients:
    • 3 cups baking soda (break up clumps)
    • 1/4 cup shampoo (mix until completely combined)
    • 5 tblsp water (mix)
  • When you're reading for puffing
    • Sprinkle citric acid over the top and mix until combined. Takes a long time to completely puff up.
Evaluation

  • 1-19-17
    • Attendance: 23
    • Notes: I could not find citric acid anywhere. I ordered it online and it didn't come. We got pectin, which does not work. We ended up with a giant, goopy mess (we threw in vinegar) and the kids were perfectly happy with it.
  • 1-21-16
    • Attendance: 30
    • Notes: Luckily we had a small group as this is not a program that lends itself to large crowds. The microscope didn't work and it took us about an hour to clean up (need to put a tablecloth under/around the sink next time) but it ended early and the kids had a blast.
  • 1-29-15
    • Attendance: 44
    • Feedback/Connections: A new attendee came - one of the teachers at a local group that does science shows! It was pretty awesome because he could tell the kids about the science behind some of what we were doing.
    • Notes: I didn't have the books on snow that I wanted, b/c I didn't request them early enough and I meant to have pictures of snow crystals but didn't have time for that either. Next year. We went through a LOT of baking soda, especially because the kids wanted to take their "snow" home. Next year, make sure you remind people first that the snow puffs up over time, so if you seal it in sandwich bags...

No comments: