- Program Goals
- Continue book clubs with kids who have aged out of Bookaneers or find the lower books too easy.
- Encourage kids to build reading skills and enjoy reading!
- Attendance: 5 kids (grades 3-5)
- How Rock 'n' Read works
- At the first meeting, or when they attend for the first time, kids receive a binder with a variety of starter sheets. They can get more sheets as needed online or at the next meeting. They do not have to fill in the sheets for each book, they're just for fun and to help them remember what they read.
- Books are due at the next meeting. They have a due date taped to the front of each book. Don't forget your library card!
- It's ok if you don't feel like talking about your book or didn't finish.
- We all read at different levels and speeds. This isn't a contest or a class; we're here to have fun reading together!
- Make notebooks and bookmarks if it's the first meeting, discuss what books they like and why and what their favorite things are. Otherwise, crafts and talking about our books!
5:15-5:30: Booktalks, Voting
- I booktalk each book and have them vote on which one they want. It depends on how many kids attend. Sometimes I write/draw them on the chalkboard. Sometimes I put them on the whiteboard or put bowls in front of the books for them to put their names in. Sometimes the group is small enough not to have to take turns.
- If it's the last meeting of the school year, they each get a book to take home to keep from the prize cart.