Thursday, November 17, 2016

Messy Art Club: Recycled Art (3-D Collage)


  • Program Goals: 
    • Encourage creativity and problem-solving
    • Allow children to experience different art products and styles
    • Develop fine motor abilities
    • Attendance: 35

  • Project: Monster Boxes
    • Supplies
      • Recycled tissue boxes, egg cartons
      • Bookmark templates (if doing bookmarks)
      • Colored/patterned paper, paper scraps 
      • Decorations (pipe cleaners are very popular)
      • Glue, scissors, tape
    • Instructions and Notes
      • I originally got this idea from a display idea on Keeping up with kids: Monster boxes and I sometimes do Monster bookmarks although those aren't always popular.
  • Project: Bottle Cap Art
    • Supplies
      • Bottle caps (donated, a large box full)
      • Permanent markers
      • Paint; paintbrushes
      • Recycled card stock
      • Glue
      • Tablecloths
    • Instructions and Notes
      • How it works: Kids decorate bottle caps with permanent markers or paint, glue to card stock to create pictures.
  • Project: 3-D Collage Sculptures
    • Supplies:
      • Styrofoam balls from S&S Worldwide
      • pipe cleaners (teacher packs from Discount School Supply)
      • felt scraps, sparkles, yarn, ribbon, foil scraps, wiggly eyes, pom-poms
      • glitter glue, permanent markers
      • glue dots, glue, tacky glue, scissors
      • plastic tablecloths

Evaluation
  • 11-17-16 (bottle cap art)
    • Attendance: 23
    • Supplies: recycled card stock, glue, paint, bottle caps
    • Notes: People aren't really into this one and it was the last warm weather day. I recycled everything. One kid did paint the "ducks of justice" which made me happy.
  • 10-29-15 (monster boxes)
    • Attendance: 46
    • Notes: Trying to decide if we should keep doing monster boxes or find another Halloween art project for next year.
  • 10-8-15 (Bottle Cap Art)
    • Attendance: 41
    • Notes: A little bewilderment as to what they were supposed to do with the supplies, but they settled in and enjoyed themselves. I think adding paint to the mix might be fun.
  • 10-30-14 (monster boxes)
    • Attendance: 48
    • Connections/Feedback: Lots of traffic this year - it really depends on where the day falls. A couple older kids who haven't attended in a few years came back and parents really enjoyed having this fun program.
    • Notes: Duct tape was a win, always need lots of pom-poms. Some kids were disappointed that I only had a little of the shiny purple paper. Always remember that any program involving boxes the kids will fill them with stuff and take it home, so don't put out everything!
  • 10-31-13 (monster boxes
    • Attendance: 20
    • Notes: I had monster bookmarks but nobody was interested. We had face-painting as well, courtesy of my aide, and a lot of people said they were coming, but I think the combination of the rain and being right before trick-or-treating contributed to the low turn-out. I thought people would want to come right before, but apparently not. 
  • 10-18-12 (monster boxes)
    • Attendance: 50
    • Notes: I tried doing a handout but nobody was interested. I shall forget the whole handout thing, I think. After the last program I was not in a mood for anything messy. Nobody was really interested in the bookmarks, just the boxes. About 50 people came and we started to run out of boxes. I am going to start collecting boxes for next year now. 
  • 9-20-12 (3-D collage)
    • Notes: Feel the ca-raaazy. We started running out styrofoam balls, I added cardboard boxes, then the juice cans I'd been saving, then egg cartons. I'm glad I did NOT do paint. The first kids made caterpillars, a group of teens showed up and made alien balls with sproingy pipe cleaners, then there were robots and...I'm not sure what the egg carton thing was. There was also a large number of people who decided to make shakers with the juice bottles, sequins (to go inside) and duct tape. In short, it was crazy! There were about 45 people there, going and coming. I had hoped to reuse the tablecloths for tomorrow, but HAH. Lots of glue. Next time, I would only offer glue dots.
    • Notes: When I set up the room for this type of collage, I put all the supplies on one table, books on another table, then have working tables. Parents would really prefer that each table had as much as they wanted of each thing, but that's not practical. I would like people to select a few items, come back to look for more, etc. I find myself getting frustrated and annoyed (although hopefully not showing it) when parents scoop up handfuls of stuff. I try to buy enough for everyone, but like today the styrofoam balls went really fast. I had hoped people would use just one or two, but they used LOTS. The pipe cleaners disappeared also (any time you put out large amounts of pipe cleaners, they will disappear in equally large amounts). But I started thinking about it today, and I thought - the point of these types of programs is for the kids to explore, create, try different things. If they want to make things with large bunches of pipe cleaners - it's ok. If they want to carry handfuls of stuff to their table - it's ok. I need to communicate better on my end and not expect them to know how much they're supposed to use. I need to either put out signs, have more materials, or put them out at different times throughout the program (but you still can't take handfuls of stuff home! Yes, I'm looking at YOU!)

No comments: