Friday, July 22, 2016

Maker Workshop: Brushbots

  • Program Goals
    • Teach kids new skills
    • Offer the opportunity for hands-on learning
    • Promote nonfiction
Supplies
  • Brushbot kits (15) (purchased from easybotics.com)
  • AAA batteries
  • stickers
Resources and Display Titles
I did not put anything out.

Promo:
Kids will have the opportunity to create a mini robot and learn some basic electronic skills along the way! Registration is required and space is limited, so if you are unable to attend please let the library know. There is no age restriction, but you must have the following skills to attend:

Required skills:
  • Ability to work independently and wait patiently for assistance when needed.
  • Can safely use required materials with minimal supervision (sharp pliers, wire, batteries)
Introduction
I reminded everyone of the "tools vs toys" rule and then they got started. I printed out instructions and suggestions for games etc. from the website.

Evaluation
  • 7-22-16
    • Attendance: 12
    • Notes: I felt very "meh" about this one, but it turned out really well. The kids loved it and we had extras (which was good b/c a couple motors died). Next year I'll buy the brushbot kits from Maker Shed when they're in stock and pre-strip the wires.

2 comments:

Maura said...

Is there a reason you would switch from the easybotics kids to the Maker Shed ones? I'm considering doing another brushbots program soon with a kit (I did one a few years ago from scratch... NEVER AGAIN) and I'm exploring the different kit options.

Jennifer said...

When I've done it before, I've always gotten Maker Shed - the only drawback with those is you have to strip the wires (we used our teeth which I don't exactly recommend but...it worked!). The easybotics ones have a giant battery which is very difficult to balance and they were much harder to put together. I prefer Maker Shed, but they do get sold out!