Friday, June 10, 2016

Library Camp-Out

  • Program Goals
    • Kick off summer with a casual and fun program
    • Promote the library as a community destination
    • Attendance: 20
6:30-6:45
  • Welcome everyone, pass out snacks (marshmallows, teddy grahams, chocolate chips in cups), get settled in Storyroom
6:45 to 7:15
Start in Storyroom with creepy stories from mild on up
    • Squeaky door
    • Creepy carrots
    • Monster and the tailor
    • Book that eats people
    • Haunted hamburger
    • Curse of the campfire weenies
    • Half-Minute Horrors
7:15-7:45
  • Kids and families move out as the stories get too scary. Aide helps them check out, sign up for summer reading, they can also run around the library.
Evaluation

  • 6-10-16
    • Attendance: 20
    • Notes: We probably won't do this again as it conflicts with another community program. Families really like it and it's easy, so I might do it at a different time of year. The older kids think my stories aren't scary, but I'm really reluctant to accidentally terrify someone...
  • 6-5-15
    • Attendance: 22
    • Feedback/Connections: Very positive response from the families.
    • Notes: This is the first year I've tried this. A LOT of people thought it was all night, even though I clearly wrote "6:30-7:30" on all the flyers. Parks and Recreation has a huge program this night and I had intended us to be an alternate location for younger kids, those who did not want to attend the big program. A good thing I thought to grab Half-Minute Horrors as I had a lot of older kids who wanted REALLY scary stories.
      • My director welcomed people at the door; they browsed the Usborne sale, and then spread out to enjoy the library, set up forts, browse the carts of new books, etc. Jess signed folks up for summer reading and answered questions, my aide shelved and helped as requested, and I circulated.
      • I did a mildly creepy storytime with The Book that Eats People, some of Paul Galdone's stories, Creepy Carrots and an interactive telling of "The Squeaky Door". I also had scavenger hunts for the group of older kids who came, since I thought they probably wouldn't be interested in the storytime. I served mini marshmallows, teddy grahams, and chocolate chips in cups. My director lent us her fire pit, which I filled with tissue paper "flames".

No comments: