Thursday, April 28, 2016

Messy Art Club: Painting Things

  • Program Goals
    • Encourage creativity and problem-solving
    • Allow children to experience different art products and styles
    • Develop fine motor abilities
    • Attendance: 35

  • Project: Painting eggs
    • Supplies
      • Styrofoam eggs purchased from S&S Worldwide (240 for $80)
      • skewers, acrylic paint, brushes
      • water cups, aprons, tablecloths, wipes
      • drying boxes, pencils, file labels and pencils for egg tags
    • Instructions and Notes

      • I pre-skewer the eggs because they are sharp. It's better to poke the eggs into the box than lay them across. Make sure they label BEFORE they paint.

  • Project: Painting wooden items
    • Supplies
      • Wooden shapes (left over from various projects and prizes)
      • Wooden snakes (purchased in bulk two summers ago and only used a few)
      • Acrylic paint
      • Paper plates, paint brushes, aprons
      • wax paper, tablecloths
    • Instructions and Notes
      • I spread the wax paper out for kids to put their painted objects to dry on - just putting them on paper plates, etc. they stick
      • We don't use water cups - I tell them to take a new paint brush when they want to switch colors.

  • Project: Paint and laminate
    • Supplies
      • Die-cuts (die cut machine and paper)
      • Paint, paintbrushes
      • Markers, glitter glue
      • aprons, paper towels, paper plates
    • Instructions and Notes
      • Do NOT laminate shapes with glitter. Only paint, and they have to blot it first (paper towels)
      • I brought my small laminator over and I had a lot of small pouches left. These work best b/c in order to fill up a big pouch, you have to get a lot of pieces and people are usually in a hurry to leave.

  • Project: Paint pots and plant seeds
    • Supplies:
      • Small clay pots or plastic pots (Walmart) (plastic recyclables in case I run out)
      • Acrylic paint, brushes
      • tablecloths, paper plates, aprons
      • dirt, seeds
    • Instructions and Notes
      • Do NOT let the kids water their plants until they get home!
      • If you paint plastic pots, they will take a lot longer to dry than clay.
Evaluation



  • 4-28-16: Painting things
    • Attendance: 70ish
    • Notes: Using up things! We used up the rest of the wooden snakes and shapes, little boxes, and quite a lot of picture frames and other things.
  • 3-23-16: Painting Eggs
    • Attendance 40ish
    • Notes: Easter was very early this year and the weather was weird. It snowed.
  • 6-18-15: Painting Pots
    • Attendance: 82
    • Notes: I finally had enough of everything and the parents loved it that I let them decorate pots along with their kids. I only used about 6-8 seed packets b/c I was really firm about the kids only taking 2 seeds each.
  • 3-26-15: Painting Eggs
    • Attendance: 63
    • Notes: I always forget how much time it takes to set up b/c you have to cover all the tables in table cloths. And then it's hot and heavy for a while until everyone disappears. It might be an idea to have another craft, so the room doesn't empty out, but it's pretty exhausting as is.
  • 10-9-14: Painting die cuts
    • Attendance: 45
    • Connections/Feedback: I am experimenting with expanding the after school clubs a little later - I held this open to about 5:10 and got a whole big group of people in. One family did mention that they loved the time and it was perfect for them.
    • Notes for the future: Cover the tables!
  • 9-12-14: Snakes and Wooden items
    • Attendance: 37
    • Notes for the future:.Many people expected Lego Club because we usually start with that, but the schedule didn't work out that way this year. I didn't cover the tables, and then my aides didn't end up being available, and I had to scrub like crazy to get all the paint off.
  • 6-12-14: Painting Pots
    • Attendance: 70
    • Notes: This is the fourth year I've done this. This year it fell on the booksale, but fortunately this is one of those programs where people move through it fast, since I only had a few tables. We used nearly everything! I need to try to get the clay pots, not the plastic ones, since they work better but Walmart runs out of them fast. I nearly ran out of seeds too! I had about 5 packets and it was barely enough.
  • 4-17-14: Painting Eggs
    • Attendance: 65
    • Notes: I cut file labels in half length-wise to use as tags and got long boxes out of the basement for egg dryers. We had enough eggs for all the kids to have 2 each and still enough for next year! I just need to remember next year to start with four egg drying boxes and have them all on the table.
  • 10-10-13: Snakes and wooden items
    • Attendance: 35
    • Notes for the future: I had meant to do snakes in the summer, but forgot. I thought they made a nice Halloween project, but nobody else really seemed to get this.
  • 6-20-13: Painting Pots
    • Attendance: 52
    • Notes: This year was a little different b/c I could not get clay pots and we had to use plastic instead, and the paint didn't dry as fast. So, the kids left the pots to dry and I put the dirt outside for them to come back and fill them later. Yeah...those handouts...I dumped that idea after about two club meetings. Meh. I've also let the book display go, since books + paint = disaster and I do new books at Lego Club, so coming up with something themed for each Messy Art Club hurt my brain. 
  • 3-14-13: Painting Eggs
    • Attendance: 60
    • Notes: I bought a LOT of eggs this year and hoped that we would have the numbers to justify the expense. The egg cartons weren't perfect - lots of people didn't stick their skewers all the way through, so the eggs tended to swing around. I forgot that I meant to give people sticky tags to mark their eggs.
  • 2-28-13: Laminating/paint die cuts
    • Attendance: 40?
    • Notes for the future: This program was...well, not quite a disaster, but it felt like it to me. I didn't do a book display. I discovered as I was setting up that my paint cups were dried out. Then I discovered that my paint pumps were dried out. Then I did something stupid and broke the laminating machine. I found some contact paper in the back but that ran out quickly. The kids still had fun decorating things but after the very frustrating, exhausting, and stressful morning I'd had I just couldn't bounce back and my mood affected everyone. Although I couldn't have foreseen some of the things that made this week crazy, I will try harder in the future not to do big, complicated projects right before another big program (Dr. Seuss tomorrow). Or, if I do do it again I will only do the laminate with paint, not glitter, as that caused some of the problems.
  • 10-4-12: Painting Pumpkins
    • Attendance: 80+
    • Notes: I had 100 pumpkins this year, but they were a bit...musty. Probably b/c I didn't take them out of the plastic bags and it's hot and a bit damp in here. I also added a bunch of die cut pumpkins and markers. Despite sudden showers of rain, the panicked lack of enough tablecloths, and plummeting temperatures, lots of people showed up! Over 80. I ran out of pumpkins and went crazy trying to clean up paint spills. I told people they couldn't have multiple pumpkins and some took extra anyways. Then other parents got snippy at me because we ran out of pumpkins. Next year I will strictly enforce pumpkin rationing - probably have someone at the door handing out pumpkins only to children (the main problem was parents taking extra pumpkins for themselves. No, this program is for KIDS). I will have an assistant in charge of pouncing on paint stains - pumpkins roll, and pumpkins with wet paint roll even more. 100 pumpkins will be enough if only kids take them and they only get one.
    • This was the last time I did this.
  • 6-21-12: Painting Pots
    • Attendance: 65
    • Notes: This is the new and improved Messy Art Club! I am going to include a handout for each program and more closely themed book displays. Um...well, this didn't really make any difference. Because the kids went out and came back, nobody ended up looking at the book table. I did get some handouts given out, but I don't think anyone cared. But it's summer and there were about 65 people there. 
  • 2012: Painting Eggs
    • Notes: The skewers worked really well, but I need to remember to bring the egg cartons over to stick them in to dry at the beginning of the program, not the end. Ran out of eggs very fast. Need to enforce 1 per child. No, those are not "leftovers" those are for next year - or for the kids who come at the end of the program!

No comments: