Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Outreach Storytimes: Eggs and Hatchlings

Program Goals
  • Encourage library visits
  • Build relationships with students and teachers
  • Teach kids about eggs
  • All kids received a handout with upcoming March/April programs and an egg activity
  • Toddlers (*Nonfiction)
    • Early bird by Toni Yuly (March 2015)
    • This little chick by John Lawrence (March 2016)
    • That's mine by Michel Van Zeveren (March 2016)
    • Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchinson (March 2016)
    • Peep and Egg: I'm not hatching by Laura Gehl (March 2016)
  • Preschool and Kindergarteners (*Nonfiction)
    • *What will hatch by Jennifer Ward (March 2015)
    • *An egg is quiet by Dianna Aston (March 2015)
    • *Eggs 123 by Janet Halfmann (March 2016)
    • Odd egg by Emily Gravett (March 2015)
    • *What will I be by Nicola Davies (March 2015)
    • Perfect Nest by Catherine Friend (March 2016)
    • Chickens to the rescue by John Himmelman (March 2016)
  • Long Stories (*Nonfiction)
    • Argus by Michele Knudsen (March 2016)
    • Foxy and Egg by Alex T. Smith (March 2015)
    • Egg drop by Mini Grey (March 2015)
    • An Extraordinary Egg by Leo Lionni
    • Busy-Busy Little Chick by Janice Harrington
    • *Hatch by Roxie Munro (March 2016)
  • Flannelboard/Movement/Activity
Vocabulary: Oviparous, amphibious, tadpole, hatch, nest, spring

Notes



  • 2016
    • 3-23
      • 9am 4K (Tiffany) (25)
      • 9:30 4K (Lauren) (25)
      • 10am 3s (Kathy) (25)
      • 10:30 4K (Jamie) (25)
      • 2:10 4K (Tiffany) (25)
      • For these bigger classes I put the board on my lap and put the magnets on myself for the oviparous game.
    • 3-15
      • 12:30 (Shively-Smith) (20)
      • 1pm (Buechel) (20)
      • 1:30 (Gunderson) (20)
    • 3-9
      • 9:30 4K (Kellie) (13)
      • 10 4K (Teresa) (13)
      • 10:30 3s (10)
      • 1pm 4K (combined class of 14)
      • Very wiggly four year olds - we mostly spent class playing the oviparous game. The three year olds were actually more open to listening and we read more stories.
  • 2015
    • 3-6, 9am: LLL 4K (Jen)
      • I did basically the same thing in each class - What will Hatch? Oviparous game, Argus, Here's a little egg, Odd Egg and closing song.
    • 3-6, 9:30: LLL 4K (Tiffany)
      • This classroom feels a little younger - we read Eggs 123 instead of Argus
    • 3-6, 10am: LLL 4K (Debbie)
      • Same thing here, although we did Flap Little Birdies. This is a wiggly class.
    • 3-10, 12pm: Tibbets 5K (Gunderson)
      • This is a shorter storytime, b/c of lunch. We just did a couple books and the oviparous game.
    • 3-10, 12:30: Tibbets 5K (Shively-Smith)
      • I did Egg Drop with them and they thought it was funny.
    • 3-10, 1pm: Tibbets 5K (Buechel)
      • We were all a little punch drunk at this point - no recess for the kids and this was my 5th storytime of the day but we got through! Some of them informed me that the oviparous game was not that fun, but others disagreed.
    • 3-11, 1:30: TLC 4K (Emily)
      • I forgot to write this up and have no recollection of what happened.
    • 3-11, 2:15: LLL 4K (Jen)
      • I forgot to write this up and have no recollection of what happened.
    • 3-19, 9:30: TLC 4K (Amanda)
      • One of the drawbacks I've found of doing the same thing is by the time I get to the 9th or 10th storytime I'm a little exhausted and so is my patience. However, we had a long discussion about mammals and I think it stuck with at least a few kids.
    • 3-19, 10am: TLC 4K (Emily)
      • Everyone behaved! More or less.
    • 3-19, 10:30: TLC 3s
      • I forgot some of my younger books - I took them out for something and didn't put them back - so we did extra songs.
  • 2013
    • 3-20-13: 4K class at Learning Curve
      • We talked about spring, Easter, and who lays eggs (the kids clearly hadn't internalized our book about reptiles and mammals last time, because they thought only birds laid eggs). We read What will I be, Odd Egg and 999 Frogs wake up. Then we sang Loud Bird and they really got into the clapping and little finger whispering. We then read Eggs 1 2 3 which I mostly just made into a dialogue with them, since the text is a little young and they wouldn't be interested in the counting. We finished up with Chicken Big.
    • 3-21-13: 4K classes at Learning Curve
      • We read What will I be with more discussion of reptiles, mammals, eggs, etc. I forgot my flannelboard, but I just used magnets to stick the pieces for Red Hen to the easel. We read Mrs. Hen's big surprise, sang Loud Bird and read 999 Frogs wake up. This group was very squirrelly, not unusual. However, there were no loud comments on how messy my hair was. We read pretty much the same thing on Wednesday, but I threw in Sunny Day because we were very wiggly.
    • 3-21-13: Kindergarten class at Tibbets
      • It was a very wiggly day! This group was watching a movie as I came in, which probably had something to do with it, and they had a sub. She eventually had to come sit at the back to control the kids. We read Egg Drop, Odd Egg, Chicken Big and they were so wiggly by then that we stood up and did Loud Bird then we read Seed is Sleepy but they were really too wiggly to enjoy it and Guess Again which they didn't get at all, although they giggled anyways. I sang Sunny Day to calm them down before I left.

No comments: