Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Gingerbread Man storytime

  • Program Goals
    • Offer a neutral holiday program
    • Offer a program on no 4K day
    • Introduce children to different versions of a folktale
  • Evaluation
    • 12-16-15
      • Attendance: 15
      • Notes: I'm writing this up a month after the fact. I don't know that I'll do it next year.
    • 12-17-14
      • Attendance: 25
      • Connections/feedback: A couple regular attendees and some new families showed up. They really loved the scavenger hunt. 
      • Notes: I don't normally offer a program after the big Santa's Kitchen ending program the previous Saturday, but this year I wanted to keep up having programs on the no 4K Wednesday. I adapted my We Explore format for this and it was a casual, fun storytime. However, this was stressful in conjunction with my end of year projects. I don't know that I would do it again. The flip books weren't really used b/c they didn't get put together correctly.
Storytime
I end with Catch that Cookie and then the kids can go find the decorated (paper) gingerbread people around the children's area. They can also make their own. Some teens decorated a bunch of paper gingerbread people and I had a staff person hide them around the library during storytime.

Books
  • Gingerbread boy by Beatrice Rodriguez
  • Pancake boy by Lorinda Cauley
  • Senorita Gordita
  • Catch that cookie by Hallie Durand
Flannelboard/Movement
Vocabulary and early literacy skills
  • Folktale
  • Gingerbread Man and variations (cultural knowledge)
  • Pancake, Gingerbread
  • Different animal names
  • Recognizing the tale and changes made to it
Supplies
  • Large gingerbread man die cuts
  • Markers, glitter

No comments: