Saturday, October 10, 2015

Star Wars Celebration

  • Program Goals
    • Add a big program in October
    • Bring people into the library
    • Requests from patrons and staff
  • Evaluation
    • Attendance: 60
    • Feedback/Connections: People did remember the program from three years ago *wince* but this one went a lot better. It was low-key and everyone had fun.
    • Notes: I meant to have a movie playing - one of the Star Wars Lego spoofs, but I forgot to check to see if our license covered it. Two buckets of duct tape next time!
If you know me at all, you know I'm really not a "big program" person. I hate all the angst and stress of spending time and money and never knowing whether or not enough people to justify it will show up. My preference is for lots of little programs. However, I do try to do some big programs and I wanted to offer more Saturday programs this year, so we went with Star Wars. I was kind of nervous about it since I had a disastrous Star Wars program three years ago, but I hoped with additional help and more realistic activities it wouldn't be too bad.

Scavenger Hunt
  • Our adult services librarian was in charge of this. He did a really big Star Wars party at his previous library and helped a lot with ideas and so on. I just left it all in his hands.
Tie Fighter Target Practice
  • I also put the adult services librarian in charge of this. He had pictures of fighters cut out and attached to the walls and hanging from the ceiling and the kids made paper airplanes and practiced throwing them at the pictures.
  • Supplies
    • Paper, scissors
Droid Factory
  • My associate, Jess, was in charge of this. We put all the crafty stuff in the Storyroom and told the kids to enjoy themselves.
  • Supplies
    • A vast supply of recycled half-gallon water jugs
    • Glue, tape, stickers, glitter, magnets, scissors
    • Whatever else Jess found in the storage closet
Light Saber Central
  • One of the major mistakes I made three years ago was making the light sabers too sturdy. Never again! I had a year's worth of paper tubes for the kids to make light sabers out of. One staff member pointed out "they'll break as soon as they hit anything" and I replied "THAT'S THE IDEA". I went home with bruises last time.
  • Supplies
    • Paper tubes
    • Tape, markers
Save the Galaxy!
  • I was going to call it Death Star Games....actually, it's basically the same thing as my Backwards Angry Birds game. I had lots of balloons for the kids to turn into mini Death Stars and/or Storm Troopers, cardboard boxes to build a thing, and pool noodles for whacking. My aide was in charge of the game - the kids signed up as teams, blew up and decorated their balloons, created a construction, whacked it until it fell down, and then it was another team's turn. I did not want to expend $$ on everyone getting their own pool noodle.
  • Supplies
    • Pool noodles (cut in half)
    • Balloons
    • Markers
    • Cardboard
    • Clipboard, paper, pen, camera to take pictures of teams.

No comments: