Friday, July 10, 2015

Go Go Garden: The Garden Grows

  • Program Goals
    • Offer a summer storytime for a wide range of ages
    • Encourage outdoor experience and involvement in the gardens
    • Attendance: 25
  • Evaluation
    • 7-10-15
      • Attendance: 35
Storytime: 10-10:30
I started with shakers and Laurie Berkner's "Fruit Salad Salsa" then we read The Little Gardener by Emily Hughes, Do you know which ones will grow? by Susan Shea, played "Garden vs. Not Garden", did "Little Brown Seed" and read Lola plants a garden by Anna McQuinn.

Craft time: 10:30-11:30
I had a volunteer (i.e. my mom who was on vacation ha ha) cut the bottoms off a whole bunch of the gallon water jugs I drink. Pattie brought in cord, duct tape, and foam stickers and I contributed pipe cleaners, beads, and tools. The kids made them into wind chimes.

Picnic/Outdoor time: 11-12
Yeah, this isn't happening. The gardens are NOT child friendly! My aide and I spent over an hour weeding in the heat and with mosquitos. My aide also punched holes in the bottom of the tomato pots which I neglected to do. Then one little girl came out and helped me water. The good news is our foundation is interested in making a community children's garden and so next year we expect great things!

No comments: