Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Toddler Drive-In

  • Program Goals
    • Fun and easy program during off program week.
    • Cute pictures to advertise the library
Supplies
  • Boxes
  • Stickers
  • Paper plates
  • duct tape, masking tape, regular tape
  • scissors
  • Snacks
I had the kids use the stickers, markers and crayons to decorate their boxes and paper plates. The paper plates became both wheels and steering wheels. I gave everyone about 20 - 30 minutes to play with the boxes, and then we all lined up and watched cartoons for about 20 - 30 minutes and had some snacks.

Evaluation
  • 7-5-16
    • Attendance: 20
    • Notes: I did Scholastic's I Stink and Mike Mulligan cartoons this time. Several parents said they really liked that we showed those films. We had leftover breakfast cereal from another program. I think the favorite part is people taking extra boxes home!
  • 6-30-15
    • Attendance: 29
    • Feedback/Connections: Lots of regulars and a couple new families. A patron donated fruit snacks, which was good b/c I forgot about snacks!
    • Notes: Mo Willems' Pigeon movies are fun, but I'd kind of like to do some construction/things that go movies from Scholastic next time.
  • 7-11-14
    • Attendance: 20
    • Notes: This is THE hot program going around libraries this summer. I originally got the idea from Marge Loch-Wouters, but it's been trailing around for a while. I was kind of panicked that I wouldn't have enough boxes for everyone, but decided that if we ran out of boxes the kids could just have steering wheels or something. Then I found out this morning that somehow I hadn't gotten it on the website calendar so I didn't think I'd have to worry about too many people...and phew, I was right. About 20 people came, which was all I could fit in the room with the boxes and they had a great time. I had to shoo out the last couple older kids, who were deeply involved in building extended "trains" with compartments for their stuffed animals, snacks, etc. Definitely going to do that cardboard engineering Mad Scientists Club this fall...

No comments: