Thursday, May 21, 2015

Outreach Storytime: Frogs


  • Program Goals
    • Encourage library visits
    • Build relationships with students and teachers
    • Promote summer reading and programs
Books
  • How will we get to the beach? by Brigitte Luciani
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog by Kevin Faulkner
  • Big Frog can't fit in by Mo Willems
  • Ribbit by Rodrigo Folgueira
  • Red-Eyed Tree Frog by Joy Cowley
  • Frog Song by Brenda Guiberson
  • There was an old monkey who swallowed a frog by Jennifer Ward
  • Frog and Fly by Jeff Mack
  • I don't want to be a frog by Dev Petty
Flannelboard/Movement/Activity
Early Literacy Skills/Vocabulary/Concepts: Frog names (vocabulary), anticipation and waiting for the surprise ending, singing.

Marketing
  • I took die-cut frogs with "Hop into Summer!" written on them
  • I took the summer reading handout - it has summer information on one side and a fine amnesty coupon on the back.
Remote Collections
  • No collections this month - we are using up the accumulation of books over the past few months
May 2015 Notes
  • 13th, 1:30: TLC 4K (Emily)
    • A little disrupted by a kid with a nosebleed, but much enthusiasm for the pop ups and I Don't Want to be a Frog. Which I discovered drives me CRAZY because yes, wolves DO eat frogs!
  • 13th, 2:15: LLL 4K (Jen)
    • They loved How will we get to the beach and several kids had been to the library and seen the baby chicks.
  • 15th, 9: LLL 4K (Tiffany)
    • I had 5 kids stand in a row for "Five green and speckled frogs" and that worked pretty well. The kids got really into telling me what animal they wanted to be for I don't want to be a frog. They also really clicked with the humor in Frog and Fly. This is a smart class!
  • 15th, 9:30: LLL 4K (Jen)
    • It was pretty hot and humid in the end classrooms today, so the kids were a bit more somnolent than usual, but they still participated well and had fun.
  • 15th, 10: LLL 4K (Debbie)
    • A lot of these kids had visited the library, so we had to have a long talk about the chicks and then a shorter storytime because they were practicing for graduation.
  • 21st, 9:30: TLC 4K (Amanda)
    • We had a longer storytime here because I was early. This class has the most library visitors.
  • 21st, 10: TLC 4K (Emily)
    • A subsection was very attentive, but overall rather wiggly.
  • 21st, 10:30: TLC 3s
    • I need to rework what I'm doing in this class, because a lot of the four year olds who aren't doing anything else have started joining us and they tend to take over.
May 2013 Notes

  • 5-15-13: 4K Class at the Learning Curve
    • This is my last visit before the summer and happily they are doing frogs next week and I have a great frog storytime! We talked a little about going to summer school and kindergarten and where I'll see them next year, then segued into storytime via my green shoes (they're a prop!). We read Wide-Mouthed Frog, Frog Song, Jump! (I got the kids to jump while I sat and read the story which was really good), Albert the Alligator and Red-Eyed Tree Frog. I think I might have read Frog and Fly but I don't think I did Biggest thing in the world. Can't really remember at this point. I had to be back asap to go on the desk.
  • 5-16-13: 4K Classes at the Learning Curve
    • First class we read Wide-Mouthed Frog, then one of the kids said he wanted to be an alligator, so that segued nicely into Albert the Alligator. Then we read Frog Song and we did Jump! although I didn't get them into the right formation before we started so it didn't work out quite as well as before. We also read Ribbit! and No Bath! No Cake! which I told them I was testing on them. They kind of got it and they said they liked it, but I think they mainly liked yelling "they're naked!" when the pirates were down to undies for their bath. We did Biggest thing in the world but I didn't feel that it went as smoothly as I could have hoped and I read Frog and Fly
    • Second class was a hoot. You never know with this group...First we read Wide-Mouthed Frog, then we did Jump! and it worked perfectly. I told them our next story was going to be about animal that said "ribbit" and they all yelled frog, then I whipped out Ribbit and one little girl looks at me and says "awkward!" so they all said "awkward!" throughout the rest of the story. I also read No Bath! No Cake!, Red-Eyed Tree Frog and Frog and Fly and we did Albert the Alligator (they wanted several encores) and Biggest thing in the world which went very well. We talked about where they were going to school (one boy informed me that when he went to kindergarten he was going to grow mustache) and after hugs and high-fives all around said goodbye.



Other


No comments: