Wednesday, March 18, 2015

We Explore Nature: Eggs

  • Program Goals
    • Offer a program for 4K kids not in school
    • Encourage families to explore outside
    • Learn about eggs
    • Develop early literacy skills
    • Develop motor skills
    • Attendance: 20
  • Evaluation
    • 3-18-15
      • Attendance: 22
      • Connections/Feedback: Several new families and a couple regulars. Very casual.
      • Notes: I was sick and then realized most of my stuff was in my outreach bag, which was in my car, which I'd just left at the auto shop. So I just grabbed some random books and went with it.
    • 4-16-14
      • Attendance: 14
      • Notes: I'm determined to keep this storytime going until I have expanded outreach and have something to replace it. We skipped Chicken-Chasing Queen, which was too long for the age of this group, and spent a lot of time on the oviparous game.
Project 1: Hatching eggs (10-10:15) Kids cut their circle in half, tape the two halves to the paper, and decorate. You can make it like a little pocket or like a lift the flap.

Supplies
  • Die cut birds, circles
  • Paper, tape
  • Markers, crayons
Storytime/Snacktime: (10:15-10:40)
Collect everyone with the Storytime Song, ask parents to pass out snack. I had a number of books about eggs and chickens to read and look at and also the Are you oviparous? game.

Supplies
  • Snack, napkins
Books
  • Chickens to the rescue by John Himmelman
  • This little chick by John Lawrence
  • What will hatch by Jennifer Ward
  • Eggs 123 who will the babies be? by Janet Halfmann
  • Egg is quiet by Dianna Aston
Project 2: Nesting chicks (10:40-11)
I had the kids use glue and yarn to build a "nest" on a paper plate and then glue dots to attach feathers to a large pompom which was their "chick"

Supplies
  • yarn, paper plates, glue
  • jumbo pompoms, wiggly eyes, feathers, glue dots

No comments: