Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Preschool Interactive: For the Birds

  • Program Goals
    • Model early literacy skills through stories and art
    • Offer a program at a new time (early afternoon) to meet the needs of 4K students
    • Learn about birds
    • Attendance: 15
  • Evaluation
    • 3-4-15
      • Attendance: 15
      • Feedback/Connections: I'm getting a different group of kids at this storytime, but mostly still too young for an actual preschool storytime. I did finally get a couple actual 4K kids (the main reason I tried this afternoon storytime) today.
      • Notes: I need to either lower my expectations of storytime attendance, offer something for toddlers (which would be redundant, since we already have 3-5 programs for this age group) or switch all my preschool programming to outreach.
    • 6-12-13: Alas how things change...I had only 6 kids aged 3-6, 1 toddler, and 1 baby. Preschool storytime is officially dead. The kids are in school, summer school, outside activities, etc. I don't know what I'm going to do with this program in the fall - my preference would be to bring in kids from the schools, but that may not be possible. 
    • 1-25-12: I was surprised at what a huge hit Blue Chicken was. The kids requested two repeats of flap little birdies. I was worried that Pretty Ladybug would be too long, since we sing for every single number, but we went to 20 and everyone enjoyed it and parents afterwards said they liked doing higher numbers. I think it might have gone better if I'd had something standing up afterwards though. I almost didn't read Loon Baby because some kids were losing interest, but then I pointed out to myself that there were still more than 10 kids listening and they quieted down for the story. 
Dancing time and name tags: "Boots" by Laurie Berkner from Victor Vito

Opening name song: The more we get together

Long story: Make way for ducklings by Robert McCloskey

Movement: Flap Little Birdies (Hop little bunnies)

Nonfiction: About Birds by Cathryn Sill/Bring on the Birds by Susan Stockdale/Thunder birds by Jim Arnosky

Early Literacy Aside: Print awareness includes numbers as well as letters and we're going to practice recognizing some of our numbers in this next song. I'm going to need your help counting and singing!

Movement/Flannelboard: Pretty Ladybug

Short story: Early bird by Toni Yuly

Short story: Birds by Kevin Henkes

Closing song: Sunny Day

Process art: Fingerpainting

Prep: Paint, paper plates, popsicle sticks, paper, paper towels

Kids paint!

Closing song: Sunny Day

Kids paint

No comments: