Saturday, February 14, 2015

Paws to Read: Winter Reading Program 2014

Last year I started a winter reading program, Paws to Read. I only had about 26 participants, but for the first year I thought that was pretty good.

This year I made some changes to the program. I simplified it even further, took out the the stuff for staff since they never used it, and opened it up to all ages.

Who can participate? All ages, toddlers to teens

How does it work? Kids take as many reading challenges off the bulletin board as they want. When they're completed, they put them in the box by my desk. Each Friday I draw names (which are posted on the bulletin board and Facebook) and those kids get to pick from the prize box.

On the 13th/14th I had a "party" which was really just moving all the crafting materials from Messy Art Club: Have a Heart into the Storyroom and leaving it open for two days. 26 people came on Friday, around 30? people on Saturday.

I had about 35 kids this year, which was a small increase.






2 comments:

thriveafterthree.com said...

Do you have a list of challenges that you post?
This looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

I have some samples on last year's write-up http://inshortbusy.blogspot.com/2013/12/paws-to-read-winter-reading-program.html

If you want all of them, just shoot me an email jeanlittlelibrary at gmail