Friday, October 24, 2014

Are you ready for....the long haul? Wimpy Kid Party

  • Program Goals
    • Offer a program on a no-school day
    • Bring school-age kids into the library
    • Market collections (Wimpy Kid read-alikes)
    • Build a backlog of book/character parties for use on Friday afternoons
    • Attendance: 35
  • Evaluation
    • 10-24-14
      • Attendance: 20
      • Connections/Feedback: A lot of younger kids. Attendance on no-school days is really spotty, so this wasn't an unexpected number and not that bad considering. Everyone had a lot of fun and tried everything. I'm going to use some of the fill-in quizzes and the add to a comic project for a display next month.
      • Notes: Life happened and I didn't plan this until the last minute. I've also (true confession) never actually read the books. I'm more of a Big Nate fan. Next time I'll get stronger toilet paper because I realized I didn't need as much. I decided to add the movie at the last minute and that was good because it took the kids a long time to warm up and get moving.
Stations and Activities
  • Create your own diary
    • 8x5 white construction paper
    • Construction paper
    • Handmade paper (leftover)
    • Markers, scissors
  • Cheese Whiz Quiz
  • Manny Cereal Toss
    • I got this from Tiny Tips but I had the kids make their own cereal boxes
    • Construction paper, scissors, tape, markers
    • Toilet seat and recycling basket
    • Masking tape (for the floor)
  • Long Haul Games
    • I printed out word games etc. from previous event kits and suggested kids come up with their own car games that Greg might play.
  • Toilet Paper Wrap Race
    • I got this from a program on the ALSC blog.
  • The Big Screen and munchies
    • I had Dog Days playing just for extra noise and I put cookies out and a small circle of chairs
  • The World's Longest Comic
    • I came up with this myself. Hold the applause please. I had my aide draw a really, really simple comic on a long strip of paper and taped it to the wall, then invited kids to continue the story.
    • Paper, pencils, scissors
  • Book Display
    • I pulled a few books from everything BUT Wimpy Kid - a sample
      • Big Nate
      • Dork Diaries
      • Ellie McDoodle
      • Stick Dog
      • Dragonbreath
      • Bean Boy
      • Amelia Rules
      • Babymouse

No comments: