- 6-26-14: I got the ideas for this from a class I took at the Milwaukee Zoo. It didn't really "gel" in my head, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. However, it went really well. 80+ people showed up. One of the middle schoolers attending knew how to make little geckos out of beads and showed a lot of the kids (and moms) how to do it, and I had another middle school volunteer who helped things run smoothly. One of my aides ran the outdoor portion. A couple kids came up with the idea to "sew" their plates together with pipe cleaners.
Project: Build a Reptile
- Beads, pipe cleaners
Experiment: Am I a tortoise or a turtle?
- pools (outside weather permitting) filled with water
- Make turtles and tortoises -test them in the water
- Styrofoam plates
- Popsicle sticks
- Cardstock (scrap paper)
- glass beads (weight)
- Scissors, packing tape, duct tape
- Permanent markers
- Poster - turtles vs. tortoises, whiteboard to add more facts