- 4-9-13: This is our annual massive collaboration, all-library party. It involves my colleague from the school district (the prime mover and shaker), two of our three four year old kindergartens and their staff, and is set throughout the entire library. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 people came this year, although it's impossible to really count, as well as around 15 kids from the local special education school, Lakeland School. We plan for it most of the year and it celebrates both Week of the Young Child and National Library Week (although it's not always on the specific date, since we have it on a no-4k day).
- Things to remember for next year
- Someone needs to direct traffic. I forgot that patrons would probably not remember that they can't park in the lots of nearby businesses. It might help to also include some parking directions in the flyers.
- Don't have limited/finite performers. I told myself this last year and then let myself be talked into getting a balloon artist again. Next year, get something that doesn't require a waiting line and a cut-off time! Some people were very sad that they didn't get a balloon.
- Facepaint - we do this every year and it's huge, but it's too big. We need to have, if possible, more than one station and at least 3 painters. 4 would be better.
- Scheduling an extra aide the afternoon before to help set up was a good idea. I also think I did a good job of keeping things from getting too overwhelming, even if I did have to be the NO librarian.
- Bag for crafts etc.
- Elephant mask
- Animal crackers
- Carrots and apples
- Mini hot dogs
- Photo ops and decorations (silly faces, masks, etc.)
- Circus music
- juggling station - scarves and light squishy things
- felt beanbags
- Cut out with die cut, partially sewed closed. The kids stuffed them with felt and we had darning needles available to close them.
Children's Area--play area tables
- Circus wagon craft
- Circus hat craft
Book display - Children's area
Young Adult room
Young Adult room
- Tim Glander, magician/balloon artist, 10:30-11:30 (noted on sign, had to turn away people)
Upstairs Hallway - acrobatics
- Balancing beam
- Hula hoops on ground to jump through
- Bowling game in stacks
Local History nook