Friday, March 14, 2014

We Explore Favorite Artist Melissa Sweet

  • 3-14-14: Ideally, I'd do the second half of this with watercolors, but I don't have any so we just used tempera paint. I was so tired this week I was thinking about using crayons or getting colored pencils instead, but I soldiered on! I would have liked to have a more thematic snack (like pie or berries or ice cream or something), but without an official assistant I felt that was too complicated. I think this was my BEST yet. A great group of kids and, most exciting to me, three families drove 30 minutes from another town specifically because someone had told them about this program!
Art Project Part 1: Magazine collages (10-10:15)
  • I encouraged kids and parents to cut out words as well as pictures to decorate their paper and reminded them to leave room to paint!
  • Supplies
    • old magazines
    • scissors, glue
    • 9x18 white construction paper
Storytime/Snacktime (10:15-10:40)
  • I started with Carmine a little more red and we talked about all the different fancy words and practiced pronouncing them. Then I asked the parents to distribute the snacks and we read Easy as pie, and Rubia and the three Osos.
  • Supplies
    • strawberry fig newtons, apples
    • napkins
Art Project Part 2: Painting (10:45-11)
  • The parents had already tidied up the collage materials, so we just brought out the paint cups and put on our aprons
  • Supplies
    • Aprons, paper towels
    • Paint cups (red, green, blue), paint brushes

No comments: