Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Preschool Interactive: Valentines

  • 2-12-14: I used the new Brownie Groundhog, since I used the first one last week, and added a flannelboard for Cupcake. I had a lot of younger kids (well, relatively a lot - total of 24 ppl) and I wasn't sure they'd sit through the whole thing, but they did. Mostly.
  • 2-13-13: I keep reminding myself that last year there was practically no snow and we didn't have 4K five days a week. Nonetheless, my attendance is worrying me. I posted on Facebook the general theme and craft on Tuesday, I only prepared a small amount of crafts and take home bags, it was a glorious sunny day, and 35 people came. I had much simpler Valentine's Day craft stuff, since we are doing Valentines for Messy Art Club tomorrow. 
  • 2-8-12: Wow! Super huge group today! I had construction paper to fold in half, paper hearts, foam hearts with sticky backs, sparkles, glue, markers, and crayons. Fun but messy. The kids LOVED doing the two familiar songs, although I had a stampede on the flannel board for five little snowmen (and afterwards one of the toddlers covered it with crayon, but oh well it still holds flannels) 
Dancing time and name tags: "Boots" by Laurie Berkner from Victor Vito

Introduction, welcome, and announcements: Messy Art Club tomorrow, Valentines!

Opening name song: The more we get together

Long story: Brownie Groundhog and the Wintry Surprise by Susan Blackaby

Early Literacy Aside: Singing and movement are both great ways to reinforce concepts like learning the body parts or rhyming, which is an important part of early literacy skills. We're going to sing and rhyme in this song all about the parts of the body.

Discussion: What do you love?

Movement: Everybody knows that I love my toes

Holiday stories/Flannelboard: Cupcake by Charise Mericle Harper

Movement: Hop little bunnies

Short story: How do you hug a porcupine by Laurie Isop

Short story: Plant a kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Closing song: Sunny Day

Process art: Valentines

Prep: Die cut flannel hearts, glue dots, sparkles, jewels

Kids decorate the hearts

Take Home Insert
Thank you for attending today's Preschool Interactive!

Our next session is Feb. 19 and we will be having fun with dinosaurs! Bring friends and siblings: the suggested age for Preschool Interactive is 3 and up, but all ages are welcome to attend and participate as they are able.

Today we used the five early literacy practices; talking, singing, reading, playing and writing.

We TALKED about things that we love

We practiced WRITING by pinching and placing decorations on our hearts

We SANG "Hop little bunnies" and "Everybody knows that I love my toes"

We PLAYED a guessing game with our Cupcake story

We READ
Brownie Groundhog and the Wintry Surprise by Susan Blackaby
Cupcake by Charise Mericle Harper
How do you hug a porcupine by Laurie Isop
Plant a kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

You can keep practicing these skills at home. Try practicing your SINGING skills by checking out some of our children's music on cd or downloading free children's music from Freegal. You can also find both of the songs we sang today on utube.

Our take home craft is: Valentines

You will need: Decorations

Make a special Valentine for a special person!

For more library events, new books, and more, check out our website at www.elkhorn.lib.wi.us, join us on Facebook, or talk to a librarian. Please let me know if you have suggestions or questions!

Jennifer Wharton, Youth Services Librarian
jwharton@elkhorn.lib.wi.us, 262-723-2678 ext. 14

No comments: