Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Outreach: Lakeland

  • 1-21-14: Lakeland is our special education school, so it's always different when they come to visit! I was working with two adult life skills classes, which are comprised of teens with low cognitive abilities.
  • Class 1: Their bus was late, so we only had about 30 minutes instead of an hour, but that's ok because I don't think I could fill an hour! There were six teens and several of them had been before, so they recognized some things. We walked through the circulation area, children's area, and tech services, then we ended up in the storyroom where we read everything. One student enjoyed participating and several others made an effort as well. We practiced checking out a book and then put pennies in the wishing well in the lobby, which was a huge hit.
  • Class 2 - they were supposed to come the following Tuesday, but school was cancelled due to the weather. They may reschedule later.

Tour: A short tour of the lower level, paying particular attention to the circulation area (where we checked out a book on the school's institutional card), looking at all the things in Technical Services, and ending up in the Storyroom.

Storytime: I had a number of simple books with interactive elements. If the students weren't able or willing to participate, the teachers and I just did them
  • Go away big green monster by Ed Emberley
  • What will fat cat sit on? by Jan Thomas
  • The wide-mouthed frog by Keith Faulkner
  • I spy with my little eye by Edward Gibbs
Craft: I had this just in case we were in the mood - I had big gingerbread man die cuts, markers and crayons. This class isn't usually into crafts, but I like to be prepared!

No comments: