- Program Goals
- Learn about animals in winter
- Offer a non-holiday winter program
- Encourage kids to go outside and explore
- Develop early literacy skills
- Attendance: 20
- Attendance: 10
- Notes: After this year, We Explore Nature will be once a month for no 4K day, so it will be directed at a slightly older audience. I also don't usually do these in December and there was a huge program in the community room, so not an auspicious occasion.
Kids cut out and glue animal pictures to paper. Encourage parents to write what the kids think the animals do in winter.
- Magazines, paper
- scissors, glue
Collect everyone with the Storytime Song, ask parents to pass out snack. Many of these books are more conversations with the younger kids - we talk about each animal and what they do in winter.
- Waiting for winter by Sebastian Meschenmoscher
- Bear dreams by Elisha Cooper
- North by Nick Dowson
- Over and under the snow by Kate Messner
- Time to sleep by Denise Fleming
- Very Hairy Bear by Alice Schertle
- Under the snow by Melissa Stewart
- Who would like a Christmas Tree by Ellen Obed
- Animals (bears, salamanders, skunks, caribou, etc.)
- Animal crackers
- dixie cups, napkins
I had paper with a slit pre-cut in it. The kids decorated die cut animals, taped them to popsicle sticks, and had them "hide" in the paper. I also opened up the puppet theater for them to play.
- White paper (pre-cut)
- Die cuts
- Popsicle sticks, markers, tape