Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Preschool Interactive: What's New

  • 9-11-13: Aaand, we're back! I've decided to use the first storytime back to introduce fun, new books. I've also changed from labeling the storytimes by early literacy skill to theme. I'm ok with themes as long as I remind myself that you only need one book to make a theme, you don't have to slavishly follow it in every book, song, rhyme, and craft. I had a very large group - about 35 people - with lots of babies and 4k kids (no 4k today). I did have a few panicky moments that the babies were crying, the kids were wiggly, etc. but I reminded myself it was the first day and it was all ok. We didn't have time for I Spy Pets, but two parents were excited to check out the books afterwards. I loved how everyone magically quieted down at the end when we sang Sunny Day and my kids from last year sang their hearts out. [replaced Fuddles, Happy Birthday Hamster, Don't squish the sasquatch]
  • 7-25-12: We're really loving the glitter finger paint I got from Discount School Supply. I did have a lot of kids today who didn't want to touch the paint, but that's why I keep brushes handy! Had an unusually quiet and listening group today, best reading of What do you do with a tail like this EVER! I have a flannelboard of pictures from the book and I handed out a couple from each page. When the kids' picture came up, they put it on the board and we guessed what it might be, then we turned the page and read about their animal. We didn't actually use Five Gray Elephants, we were busy reading!
Dancing time and name tags: "List of dances" from Jim Gill makes it noisy in Boise Idaho

Introduction, welcome, and announcements: Welcome back to Preschool Interactive. Ice Age Trail, Mad Scientists Club, Step Ahead preschool will be joining us. Kids' displays, 10KBK.

Early Literacy Theme: Print motivation is a child's interest in and enjoyment of books and reading. We're going to read lots of new books today, that the library just got! Letting kids pick out their reading choices and trying out new books is a great way to get motivated to read together.

Opening name song: The more we get together

Long story: Millie and the big rescue by Alexander Steffensmeier

Movement: Loud Bird by Caspar Babypants

Nonfiction/Flannelboard: What do you do with a tail like this? by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page

Movement: I saw a little duck

Short story: I spy pets by Edward Gibbs

Short story: Little Mouse by Allison Murray

Closing song: Sunny Day

Process art: Fingerpaint

Prep: Cut fingerpaint paper into smaller pieces, have sticks to scoop out paint and paper plates to put it on.

Kids paint!



Take Home Insert

Thank you for attending today's Preschool Interactive!

Our early literacy skill was: Print motivation, a child's interest in and enjoyment of books and reading. We read lots of new books today! Letting kids pick out their reading choices and trying out new books is a great way to get motivated to read together.

Our stories, songs and rhymes today included:
What do you do with a tail like this? by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page
Millie and the big rescue by Alexander Steffensmeier
I spy pets by Edward Gibbs
Little Mouse by Allison Murray
Loud Bird by Caspar Babypants, from the cd Sing Along

More stories and songs to try at home:
Steven Jenkins and Robin Page have written many great nonfiction books for young listeners together. Check out their other books in the nonfiction section.

Our take home craft is: Puppet!

You will need: Tape, crayons or markers
Decorate your puppet shapes, tape them to the popsicle sticks, and put on a show! Can you act out your favorite stories?

Library events coming soon:
September 12, 3:30-5pm Mad Scientists Club
September 13, 10am, We Explore the Ice Age Trail (going on a mammoth hunt at the library)

For more library events, new books, and more, check out our website at www.elkhorn.lib.wi.us, join us on Facebook, or talk to a librarian. Please let me know if you have suggestions or questions!

Jennifer Wharton, Youth Services Librarian
jwharton@elkhorn.lib.wi.us, 262-723-2678 ext. 14

No comments: