- Program Goals
- Continue book clubs with kids who have aged out of Bookaneers or find the lower books too easy.
- Encourage kids to build reading skills and enjoy reading!
- Attendance: 5 kids (grades 3-5)
4:30-4:35: Introduction (New attendees and beginning of the year)
- How Rock 'n' Read works
- At the first meeting, or when they attend for the first time, kids receive a binder with a variety of starter sheets. They can get more sheets as needed from me or at the next meeting. They do not have to fill in the sheets for each book, they're just for fun and to help them remember what they read.
- Books are due at the next meeting. They have a due date taped to the front of each book. Don't forget your library card!
- It's ok if you don't feel like talking about your book or didn't finish.
- We all read at different levels and speeds. This isn't a contest or a class; we're here to have fun reading together!
- Make notebooks and bookmarks if it's the first meeting, discuss what books they like and why and what their favorite things are.
- Otherwise, crafts and talking about our books! We talk about genres, what they think about the characters, expand on nonfiction, discuss how the books relate to their own lives, how and why they'd recommend them to friends, etc. Sometimes the crafts tie into the books, sometimes they're just what I came up with earlier that day.
- Final meeting we decorate t-shirts
5:00-5:15: Booktalks and snack
- I booktalk each book of the selections for the next meeting. I try to have the snacks be relatively healthy - usually a snack mix I make up myself with dried fruit, goldfish, chex, etc. (pre-mixed snack mix almost always have nuts which I want to avoid b/c of allergies). Sometimes apples.
- If it's the last meeting of the school year, they each get a book to take home to keep from the prize cart.